Wednesday, June 9, 2010

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 9


I had a fantastic day. Early in the day, I had a discussion about my "trust meter" with a friend of mine. I want to get back to my gratitude for trust at a later date, because later I was inspired to write about HONESTY.

I watched the Oprah interview with Sarah Ferguson this evening and was touched at just how honest Sarah appeared. She seemed truthful and vulnerable, and sincere.

It reminded me that I really do appreciate honesty in my relationships. Trust me, it's sometimes difficult to find. I know we all tell little white lies to protect others, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the "get real" honesty that is shared by people that have a strong "trust meter".

I think it's important not to lie when the truth will do, which is most often. I think it's important to offer truthful opinions when asked by someone you care about. I think it's important to tell people how you feel, even if it risks them being unhappy, or makes you appear the fool.

Sometimes people tell you that they want to hear the truth, but they actually don't. Knowing how to approach these situations is an art. It takes practice. With those people, I tend to have "silent agreements" about how we continue on with our friendship. Both people know, on a very unconscious level, that small lies ( even those by omission) are being told between them. This isn't wrong, it happens. But more and more, I am welcoming people into my life that are "full disclosure" type of people. If I am uncomfortable with their honesty or their truth, it says more about me than it does about them.

I'm grateful for the few people in which I have a completely honest relationship with. You know who you are.

Gratitude....

No comments:

Post a Comment