Thursday, November 11, 2010

Love People, not things


"Love people, not things; use things, not people. "
— Spencer W. Kimball

I was talking to my husband today about how spoiled we are as a generation. As soon as the newest technology comes out, we all have to be the first person to have said new thing. And by "we", I really mean, everyone but me and a few select others. I'm serious. I think I used to be a collector of things, until I realized they serve no valuable purpose for me. It's not important to me to have the latest and greatest. I find pleasure in the things that I have. And more importantly, the people in my life.

I'm not sure when we became a throw away society, but people replace things in their life without having used up the full potential of item. For example, people rush out to get the new version of their cellphones while their current one is still in good condition. I think the same is true for the way we treat eachother sometimes.

We've started collecting people too. People focus on how many friends they have on Facebook and how many followers they have on Twitter. What is really more important is how you treat those friends or followers, or the ones dearest to you.

I think it's time we focused on Quality in our lives, not quantity.

Today is Remembrance day in Canada. And whether you support war or not, (I don't - at least not the current wars) people died believing they were doing so for our freedom. They perished so that we could have the latest and greatest iPhones. They died so we could talk to our friends on Facebook instead of spending time with them in real life.

Does that make you proud?

I'm sure not proud of that.

I'm going to ensure that I continue to try to focus on people and not things.

Won't you too?

No comments:

Post a Comment