Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Is it possible to be Extraordinary if you are merely Ordinary?

I've been flying high the past few days. The trademark application was submitted today for the new company I am starting, which means I am fully committed to creating an amazing business that focuses on the pursuit of personal growth and giving.

Yes, I was on cloud nine.

Until I heard a "motivational speech" today.

This speech did the exact opposite to me than I think was intended by the person giving it. After hearing it, I was deflated. I felt like what I was about to do wasn't going to make a difference or be extraordinary.

Here's the reason: I haven't suffered a lot of great adversity in my life.

You probably thinking "that doesn't make sense" and you're right, but give it some thought; most success stories have a theme about how the successful person suffered great adversity before accomplishing whatever amazing feat they were known for. Think about it. Seriously. Stop reading this and recall any success story you've heard lately.....



So many people that I know get extra credit for the things that they do because they've survived some setback, whether it be bankruptcy, a death in the family, illness, homelessness, growing up poor... You name it. Everyone has a story. We all do.

I have a story too. I have had hurts and setbacks in my life, but here is the difference with me. I do not let those experience DEFINE me. Geez, I've had some pretty shitty stuff happen to me, but I've always looked at it by understanding that it's part of my journey. I took the licks and solved the problems I was having, took the lesson or lifestyle change I needed and moved on. The things that happen in my life affect me and change me, but they do not define me. I would never give that much power to something outside myself. Ever.

I'm not taking away from anyone's experience or anything that has happened to them, but you have to admit that it's hard not to let your experiences define you when they get you extra attention. It's difficult to let go of having had cancer, or having been broke, or losing a loved one when you let it define you.

So, when I see a success story with an extraordinary person who has done something amazing and they tell their story of adversity first, I feel deflated. I feel that I don't even have the right to try to shine because I've led a fairly "uneventful" life. Now, that is seriously screwed up. I realize that.

Just because you have accomplished something-anything should be just as revered as if you had the same result but had come from a place of serious challenge. I think that anyone who makes big strides should seen as successful. Because let's face it....anytime you succeed or make gains, you have come from a place that was less to begin with. That's why we call it success, progress, or making a difference.

I've made a decision. I'm going to go ahead and do my amazing things anyway. I'm going to make waves in this world. I'm going to prove that you can be simply inspired and do without having a sad story to back it up.

I don't really think anyone reading this will understand my point. And I am sure that many will disagree or feel like I am downplaying their problems. I'm not. I just want the world to focus on the positive things too.

I also believe that when you hold onto bad experiences and let them fuel you, you give them power. We don't need to give sickness, sadness or any thing else that is horrible in this world any more power than it already has.

Please do me a favor. Recognize someone this month for making strides, success or a difference, regardless of their past experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I understand this. In a different context, one pertaining to my perception of my own parenting skills when compared to the single mother of 4 who worked 3 jobs & put herself through school, all the while never raising her voice in anger ... yes, I understand. Because in light of THAT heralded situation, my sense of accomplishment at completing the laundry Pales, when in fact I have a right to applauded my own little victories. But do i? Not nearly enough, as you know.
    I think its beautiful that without a burning need to score a victory in some personal vendetta against a world that wronged you, you have such zeal & passion for bringing goodness and a voice of reason to others around you.
    I applaud your amazing ordinary extraordinariness :)

    ReplyDelete