Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Being Grateful Every Day

Today was one of those days that for every 3 things that happened good, 1 not so good thing happened. It's so easy to stay stuck on the not so good stuff - it seems to be human nature. I think for me when not so good things happen they really sting, and believe it or not, I'm fairly sensitive. I really take things to heart. For some reason, I often let these things overshadow the good, and I've decided that I am no longer prepared to do that.

So, each night before bed I will journal and record the things I'm grateful for. Tonight I share with you because I believe that the goodness of others should be recognized and shared, no matter how small their contribution to my gratefulness.

This morning, I took my car in to the body shop to get repaired ( a woman had hit my car, and instead of driving away, she took responsibility so for that I have been grateful) and the rental car company was already at the shop waiting to take me and a gentleman to the rental agency. The gentleman sat in the back and allowed me to have the front seat. He was very friendly and it was obvious he was kind. He laughed often during our very short commute. When we got to the rental agency, I insisted he go first as he was technically before me. We were both served very quickly and the girl at the counter said "I'm sorry we don't have anything as nice as what you are both driving. I only have these 2 cars available - a Ford Fusion and a Dodge Charger. Who wants what?". I cringed inside when I heard about the Charger. It's an entirely inappropriate car for me to drive in my profession. (I guess I could be grateful it wasn't a PT Cruiser). However, my parents taught me about being polite and being fair, so I insisted again that he choose. He insisted that I choose first. So, I took him up on it. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Absolutely" he said. I then explained that the Fusion would be a more appropriate car for me to drive this week, and it was settled. He grinned and when I triple checked that choice was okay with him, he assured me with his words, his smile and his eyes. He wasn't lying.

So, today I am grateful that there are gentlemen in the world. They may be a dying breed, but they exist. I met one today. Aside from being a gentleman, he was a sincere, happy human being. I'm grateful for that too.

I carried on my day and was next served by a very helpful receptionist at a management company. This NEVER happens, so I am doubly grateful for that experience.

I'm also incredibly grateful for the friend I leaned on today. I am very choosy with whom I share my deepest worries and fears, and today I needed help. My friend was there for me. He was straight up and unbiased. Not many people are brave enough to be that way with me. I really appreciate his outlook on my situation. Moreover, I appreciate his friendship. I hope he knows this.

I am appreciative that the traffic was light on my long drive across town to see a client, and then to my friend's home.

I am glad and grateful that their home is always so peaceful, at least when I am there. I feel safe and welcome.

I'm grateful that the clients I met with this evening after my long drives came and met me in the lobby of their building instead of just buzzing me in.

I'm grateful to be typing this right now while listening to my favorite music.

I can't even recall the not so good things that happened today.

Oh, I almost forgot! One of my colleagues told me he thought I was still in my 20's. I'm 36. It's safe for you to assume that I'm grateful for that compliment today too.

It was a great day.

If you were part of my day in any way, I appreciate you.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment